Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patrick


Patrick was born in Bannaventa, in southwestern Britain, sometime around 389.He became bishop of Ireland after Palladius died around 432. He eventually resigned as bishop, retiring to Dalaradia, where he died in 461. The influence of St. Patrick continued, for he had converted pagan kingdoms and organized Christianity throughout Ireland, making it part of Christendom. This is why he is known as the patron Saint of Ireland. St.Patrick is a great defender of the Trinity. He sees the three acts of God's love: the first is the creation of the universe, the second in sending the word (Jesus) becoming the flash to redeem the world. And the third in giving the Holy Spirit to bring light and life to humankind.
This here is one of the writings on the Trinity,
"There is no other God, nor ever was nor will be in future days, other than God who is unbegotten Father, without beginning, yet from whom is all beginning...and his Son Jesus Christ whom together with his Father, we bear witness, has most surely always existed even before time began, begotten spiritually and present with the Father in a manner beyond any human words; before all time began. And through him have all things, seen unseen, been made, that he himself was made man, and once death had been overcome, he was received into the heavens with his Father... And "he has poured out abundantly his Holy Spirit upon us," given as his pledge of our immortality. Which Holy Spirit makes us both believers, obedient "children of God and equal heirs with Christ": whom we confess and adore, one God the most holy named Trinity." Confession 4
The three leaf clover was used by St.Patrick to teach the Holy Trinity. It represented the Oneness of God the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit.
The is a prayer of his,
Christ, be with me, Christ before me,
Christ behind me.
Christ in me, Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ where I lie,
Christ where I sit, Christ where I arise,
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.
Salvation is of the Lord.
Salvation is of the Lord.
Salvation is of the Christ.
May Your salvation, O Lord, be ever with us.

1 comment:

  1. A very nice post and very interesting too. St Patrick was a great saint for sure. Thanks for posting this Matt.

    ReplyDelete